Nowadays Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the most important strategy to improve your business online.90% of peoples search online to what they want. So, Most of the companies looking for Candidates who are good knowledge on Keyword Research, Site ON Page Strategy and OFF Page Implementations and also good knowledge Social Media Platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Google+ & Pinterest. Don’t worry about SEO Interview Questions and answers we are there.
In this is we are provided the top Seo interview questions along with their answers and also tips for interviews means how to face interview and how to give answers correctly.
Top 50 Useful SEO Interview Questions and answers – Digital Marketing Guide:
- What is a Search Engine?
Ans. A search engine is a web-based software system that is developed to search and locate relevant information on the World Wide Web (WWW). Search engines directly answer the questions entered by the users and give them a list of search results.
2.Name of a few search engines?
Ans. The names of different types of search engines are- Google, Bing, Yahoo!, Baidu, DuckDuckGo, and Yandex, etc.
3. Who are the Founders of Google?
Ans. The founders of Google are Larry Page and Sergey Brin.
4. In which year was Google founded?
Ans. Google was founded on 4th September 1998.
5. What is the World Wide Web?
Ans. The World Wide Web (WWW) or the Web, which was invented by Tim Berners-Lee in the year 1989, is an information system of internet servers containing web pages where specially formatted documents and resources, supported by Hypertext Transfer Protocol or HTTP, can be located by Uniform Resource Locators (URLs) with other hypertext links.
6. What is a Domain?
Ans. On the internet, the domain is simply a part of the network address and acts as a descriptor for websites. It includes email addresses, website addresses and addresses of Internet Protocols such as SSH, IRC, and FTP.
7. What is a domain extension?
Ans. Domain extension refers to the notation found at the end of web addresses. The extension is used to specify a country code or any web category. For example, .edu is a domain extension to specify educational institutions as the web category.
8. What is a website?
Ans. A website contains a collection of web pages or formatted documents that can be accessed over the Internet. Web sites are generally identified with domain names or web addresses. For example, if you type the web address www.Example.com over the internet, it would take you to the home page of the actual website.
9. What is a Web server?
Ans. A web server is a computer program with an IP address and domain names that display web pages to users when requested. Web server accepts and processes requests sent via HTTP. For example, when you enter the URL ‘mytasker.com/blog’ over the web browser, the request is sent to the web servers which bear ‘example.com/blog’ as the domain name.
10. What is Web Hosting?
Ans. Web hosting refers to any service providing space for websites over the Internet. Web host enables your website to be viewed by others via modem or network by making space over its server. There are different kinds of web hosting services available today which are used as per the needs and requirements of the web developers.
11. What is SEO and Why it is Important?
Ans. SEO or Search Engine Optimization is the method of changing the rank of our web page or Web site in the search results of search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc.
The importance of SEO is ranking of our website in the top position on Search Engines then we get more traffic of our website
12. What are the Types of SEO?
Ans. In SEO Mainly two types are there
- i. On-Page SEO
- ii.Off-Page SEO
13. Name different areas of digital marketing?
- Website (SEO content)
- Internet banner ads
- Social media marketing
- Online video content
- Pay-per-click advertising
- Email marketing
- Mobile marketing (SMS, MMS, etc)
14. What are the tools used in digital marketing?
- Official Tools
- Google Analytics
- Google Keyword Planner
- Google Webmaster
- Other Tools
- Alexa Pro
- Majestic SEO
15. Name any 6 ranking factors to the Website?
- Domain Related factors
- Keyword related Factors
- Sitewide ranking factors
- Off-page ranking factors
- On-Page Ranking Factors
- Back Link Related Factors
16. What is Alexa rank?
- Alexa Traffic Rank is a measure of a website’s popularity, compared with all of the other sites on the internet, based on two factors the number of visitors and the number of pages viewed on each visit.
- Alexa company is owned by Amazon
- Factors for a Good Alexa rank?
- Alexa ranking process is calculating the reach and number of page views for all the sites on the Web on a daily basis.
- Alexa considers the site reach and page views, averaged over a predefined period of time (three months).
- All you have to do is visit the alexa.com site and download (and install) the Alexa toolbar.
- Most people say that if you manage to make it in the top 100,000, it is a sign that your site enjoys quite heavy traffic
17. What is MOZ Rank?
- MozRank represents a link popularity score
- It reflects the importance of any given web page on the Internet
- Pages earn MozRank by the number and quality of other pages that link to them. The higher the quality of the incoming links, the higher the MozRank
- What is Domain authority
- DA is a metric that tells how well a given domain is likely to rank in Google’s search results.
- It considers linking root domains, number of total links in a website, MozRank, MozTrust
- You can measure Domain Authority using Open Site Explorer or the MozBar
- In simple terms, Moz predicts how well a website will rank on search engines
- Domain Authority on a 100-point, logarithmic scale, 70 and above is better.
- What is Page authority
- Page Authority measures the strength of an individual page
- It predicts the ability for a specific page to rank in search engines
- Page authority uses a 0 to 100 logarithmic scale
- A high Page authority score means your page has the potential to rank well in search engine results
- What is Link Equity
- equity links are links that pass value from one page (Page A) to the other (Page B).
- The value of a link, and the potential impact it can have on search engine rankings,
- The metrics to determine the value of a link:
- Page Authority
- Domain Authority
- Page Rank
- Domain Age
- What are the tools used to Identify High-Quality Links
- Backlink Checker
- Website Authority Checker
- Page Authority Checker by MOZ
- What is Page Rank
- PageRank is a metric, developed by Google, to score a specific page
- PageRank is scored using a 0 to 10 logarithmic scale
- A HIGH PageRank is still an important indicator to measure the strength of a page.
18. What are backlinks?
- Backlinks are links to your website which have been posted on other websites.
- when someone clicks through to your site from another site, the search engine views it as a positive “vote” for your site
- Backlinks are an indication of the search engine of your site’s popularity and importance.
- Backlinks websites should be from reputable sites.
- Backlinking too many sites with the same IP address is referred to as backlink bombing and will be a red flag to the search engine
19. What is Web 2.0 sites?
- Web 2.0 basically refers to the transition from static HTML Web pages to a dynamic Web that is more organized and based on serving Web applications
- Web 2.0 sites are used for greater user interactivity and collaboration.
- It includes forums, Micro Blogging, social networking, Social Bookmarking, and Wikis.
- Examples of WordPress, Facebook twitter Blogger, etc.
20. What is Keyword in SEO?
Ans: keywords are the words or phrases in your web content that make it possible for people to find your site via search engines.
- What are the types of Keywords?
- There are three types of Keywords based on Business
- Commercial: Website Tour packages – Keyword Travel guide
- Transactional: Keywords like “buy” “subscribe” “For sale’ etc
- Informational: Questionable words like “ how”, “Where”
- Navigational: search query entered to find a particular website “Youtube”
- There are three types of Keywords based on Business
- What is Keyword density?
- Keyword density refers to the ratio (percentage) of keywords contained within the total number of words within a page.
- keyword density ratio in the range of 2-5%.
- We should maintain correct keyword density to rank well in Search Engines
- The formula for Keyword Density: Keyword/Total no. of words on a page.
- What is Keyword proximity?
- Keyword proximity refers to the closeness between two or more keywords.
- What is Keyword Frequency?
- Keyword frequency refers to the number of times a keyword or keyword phrase appears within a web page.
- We should be careful not to abuse the system by repeating the same keyword or keyword phrases over and over again.
- What is Keyword Prominence?
- The concept of keyword prominence is simple “Prominent Keywords First”.
- We have to put your important keywords first in Title, Meta or Web content.
- Google always gives high priority to a well-optimized content in Search engine results rather than thin and spammy one.
- What is Keyword Stuffing?
- Keyword stuffing is the practice of inserting a large number of keywords into the Web page content and meta content in the attempt to artificially increase the page’s rank.
- Filling pages with keywords result in negative user experience and can harm your site’s ranking.
- Keywords broad Match Vs Phrase Match?
- Keyword match types are parameters that can be set on your keywords to control which searches trigger your ads to appear.
- Exact match is a Google AdWords match type that allows you to show your ad only when a searcher types the exact word or phrase.
- phrase match is a keyword matching option whereby Google AdWords matches your ad only against keywords that include a phrase you mentioned for the ad
- f you enter your keyword in quotation marks, as in “tennis shoes,” your ad would be eligible to appear when a user searches on the phrase tennis shoes
- Broad match means keyword match type that allows you to reach the widest audience.. For example, if you use broad match on the keyword “women’s hats”, your ad might show when a user searches for “men’s hats”, “women’s scarves”, or “girl fedoras”
- Broad Match Modified keywords work by appending a ‘ ’ to the specific word in your keyword phrase that you want to lock in place. Broad Match Modifier on the keyword “ women’s hats”, Google can show your ad when a user searches for “women’s fedoras”, “hats for women”, or “women’s clothing”, but will not show your ad when a user searches for “men’s hats”
21. How do you Analyze keywords?
- Keyword research is one of the most important, valuable, and high return activities in the search marketing field
- The Key metrics used for Keyword analysis are
- Average monthly search volume
- Search volume over time (90 days)
- Suggested bid prices
- AdWords competition
- Click Through Rate
22.Name Keyword ranking factors for SERP?
- SERP Keyword ranking factors are?
- Keyword in the title tag
- Keyword in meta description tag
- Keyword in H1 tag
- Using keywords in the pages
- Keyword Density and Keyword Proximity
- What is semantic search?
- Semantic search means when user inputs the search query the search algorithm will understand the keyword and Context and intention of the user and displays the result
- If User types Barack Obama, then all the details of Barack obama will be shown in search results
23.What are the types of Search engines?
- A web search engine is a software system that is designed to search for information on the World Wide Web.
- There are three types of search engines
- Crawler-based search engines (Google,Alta Vista)
- Human-powered directories (Yahoo Directory.Open Directory)
- Meta-search engines. (Dog Pile and MetaCrawler)
24.What is Google Bot or Crawler or spider?
- Googlebot is Google’s search bot that crawls the web and creates an index. It’s also known as a spider
- The bot crawls every page it’s allowed access to, and adds it to the index where it can be accessed and returned by users’ search queries.
- Googlebot first accesses a site’s robots.txt to find out the rules for crawling the site. Any pages that are disallowed will not be crawled or indexed.
- Googlebot uses the sitemap.xml to discover any and all areas of the site to be crawled and indexed
25.What is link diversity?
- Link diversity is the number of different sites linking to your site.
- The backlinks should be from different platforms like text Photo Video platforms etc.
26.What is link popularity?
- Link popularity refers to the number of backlinks (incoming links) that point to a given website
- What is internal link and external link?
- Internal Link – A hyperlink that links to another page on the same website.
External Link – A hyperlink that links to another website
- Internal Link – A hyperlink that links to another page on the same website.
- Explain about link strategy?
- Links That Affect Search Engine Rankings.
- Links That Guide Visitors to High Converting Pages
- Links That Prompt Visitors to Act (Calls-to-Action)
28.What is Link Juice?
- When one page links to another page, it passes some of its credibility to that page, increasing the likelihood that the second page will rank. This credibility is sometimes called “link juice,” but most search optimizers call it “authority.”
29.What is meant by pinging a backlink?
- “pinging” is basically an automatic notification to a search engine that a page has been updated and it should be recrawled. Specifically, this is relevant for social properties like blogs, forums and other web 2.0 sites that are indexed by several search engines that keep a record of the page and the date.
- Pinging tools like pingler.com and Pingomatic.com
30.What is do follow and no follow link?
- Dofollow: It is a type of link which has a potential to improve the ranking and the credibility of your website in Google. By default every link is dofollow, link which does not contain Rel=”Nofollow” Attribute is dofollow and these are considered to be the most powerful links for any website
- Nofollow: links attributes do not allow search engine bots to follow link.That means if the website owner is linking back to you with nofollow attributes, it does not pass on link juice. Only Humans will be able to follow the links
- Example for Nofollow Link <a href=”http://www.google.com/” rel=”nofollow”>Google</a>
31.Explain about image Optimization?
- Optimize your images to improve the quality of your content, user experience of your page and your SEO
- It means Optimising images for search like Image size,Keyword in File/Title name,Describing the Image name in Alt-text
32.What is Cancolization?
- It means to choose one specific URL as a single web address for the resources on your site.
- Don’t use the robots.txt file for canonicalization purposes
- We have to use rel=”Canonical” Attribute for that specific url for index
33.What is Cross Linking?
- Cross linking refers to the process of linking between two sites. Whether or not they are owned by the same person
- Cross Linking is the art of creating links with other sites. The factors to be considered are Unique Content, Different IP addresses, Humans readable, Multiple Sites.
34.What is Content farm?
Ans: A content farm is a website that produces a large amount of low-quality articles on many different topics, then uses keywords so that they are placed highly on Google or other search engine results.
35.What is Url hijacking?
- It means taking advantage of common typos users make when entering a Web address (URL) into their browser.
- A domain name that is a misspelled version of a popular domain name is legally registered
36.What is meant by doorway pages?
- Doorways are sites or pages created to rank highly for specific search queries.
- They are also known as “doorway,” “bridge,” “entry,” “jump” or “supplemental” pages.
37.What is 301 and 302 redirect?
- A 301 redirect is a permanent redirect. All traffic intended for URL A is permanently routed to URL B, and all link popularity and existing SEO value for URL A should also be transferred to URL B. the 301 redirect is the best method for implementing redirects on a website.
- The Webmasters should use the 301 redirect if they have changed domains, or have launched their site on a new content management system with a new URL structure. This avoids duplicate content issues/penalties with Google’s Panda algorithm
- A 302 redirect is a temporary redirect. It passes 0% of link juice (ranking power) and, in most cases, should not be used.It affects SEO and Not recommended.
38.What is broken link or 404 errors?
- It means that the webpage you were trying to reach could not be found on the server.
- It is a Client-side Error which means that either the page has been removed or moved and the URL was not changed accordingly, or that you typed in the URL incorrectly.
39.What is permalink?
- Permalinks are the permanent URLs to your individual pages and blog posts, as well as your category and tag archives
- The URL should contain the Post Title name.
40.Explain about Google algorithm?
- find the most relevant webpages for this particular set of keywords and ranks, and returns the relevant results.
- Google search algorithm code also works to fight spam online by removing useless and inappropriate content from the index base.
- The Google algorithm updates have unique names and the latest Google algorithm update is called Mobile-friendly 2 after RankBrain and Panda which used to be the major Google algorithm updates and changed the searching capacity completely
- Google latest update in algorithm focuses on filtering the best resources online that are completely mobile friendly and it refers to better ranking of webpages which are mobile optimized and are responsive on mobile platforms as well.
- Major Google algorithm updates which are presented in accordance with the chronological order.
- Google Toolbar
- Bourbon Update
- Google Local/Maps
- False Alarm
- Google Suggest
- Real-Time Search
- Google Instant
- Panda 2.0
- Algo Updates
- Panda 3.1
- Knowledge Graph
- Panda Dance
- In The News Box
- Mobile Update
- Rank Brain
- Mobile-friendly 2
41.What is Panda?
- Google Panda was created to target sites that publish low quality content and penalize them if possible
- Panda searched Google’s index for sites that had duplicates, hefty advertisements, and other erroneous techniques such as the employment of black-hat SEO
- We can recover the sites that were penalized by Google Panda
42.What is Penguin?
Ans: Penguin Updates tells about incoming links of a web site. i.e, Any bad backlinks, Spam Links.
43.What is Humming bird?
Ans: Search Engine Understand the Pair of words and Showes the results directly.
44.What is pigeon?
Ans: The update is aimed to increase the ranking of local listing in a search.
45.What is Google Caffine?
- In 2009, Google released Caffeine, a search algorithm meant to scrutinize the architectural structure of the websites on their index and those of the ones that have yet to be crawled
- Site infrastructure factored into the rankings and this allowed Google to update their search index to a much more dynamic and organized way of cataloging the millions of links found in their database
- What is Google Dance?
- In the Year 2000, Google made a number of changes in 2000, including the launch of the Google toolbar and a significant tweak known as “Google Dance.”
- It focus Link Text,Navigational Structure,Page Title,Links from different sites
- What is page rank?
- PageRank (PR) is a quality metric invented by Google’s owners Larry Page and Sergey Brin
- The values 0 to 10 determine a page’s importance, reliability and authority on the web according to Google.
- PageRank is now one of 200 ranking factors that Google uses to determine a page’s popularity.
- As per latest Google updates (Panda and Penguin), newer search algorithms using social signals, user generated content and fresh content are dominating the ranking signals are given more importance than page rank factors..
- Google removed PR from its Webmaster Tools some years ago
- Explain on page optimization?
- On-Page SEO refers to how the website’s content is presented to search engines.
- It includes the words used in the metadata tags, in body text and in anchor text in external and internal links all play important roles in on page search engine optimization (SEO)
- The factors for On page Optimization are.
46.How to build a backlink for video?
- YouTube is the second largest search engine and processes billion searches a month. It’s actually bigger than Bing, Yahoo, Ask and AOL combined
- Backlinking can be done for videos in the following ways
- Social Bookmarking (Digg, Technorati, Delicious, etc)
- Embedding videos in blogs and forums
- Sharing links of video on other sites.
47.What is cookie stuffing?
- Every time you click on an affiliate link, the affiliate tracking software places a cookie on your computer. This cookie stores important data about your click, visited pages, and the referring affiliate. When you complete a purchase, the affiliate tracking system will locate this cookie on your computer, and with the information contained inside, reward the referring affiliate with a commission.
- cookie stuffing means make commissions from people who DID NOT click on your affiliate link at all.
- Image or iFrame cookie drops
- WordPress plugins
- Pop-ups or pop-unders
- Browser toolbars or malware
- Adobe Flash and Flash components
48.What is Google sandbox?
- Sandbox is about your website loosing ranking ‘still indexed’ in SERp’s
- When a low Quality website comes on cheap work then Google found it a spam work and take it aside in Google Sandbox
- It is a a penalty slapped by Google for employing bad SEO practices.
- Penalty is because of spammy link building, and other practices against Google’s TOS
49.What is VPN?
Ans: It defines as virtual private network
50.What is citation?
- A citation is an online reference to your business’s name, address and phone number (NAP)
- Google uses them when evaluating the online authority of your business
- A partial citation is one which includes only part of your NAP – maybe your name and phone number or name and address.
- If exactly the same NAP is listed on 50+ different websites then it’s highly likely to be correct information, and Google can be more confident in showing that NAP to searchers.
- Popular Citations are yelp, yellow pages etc
- co-citation refers to the process of link building without actual links.
51.What is link cloaking?
- Link cloaking is a technique used to make long affiliate links into a shorter and more branded link.
- Examples of Link Cloaking are:
52.What is Google page insight?
- It helps in identifying ways to make your site faster and more mobile-friendly.
- If website fails to load quickly, we will lose traffic. So page Insights will help to know the reasons for Slow load and suggest the measures.
- It tells the performance on a scale of 0 to 100, with 85 being its version of A+.
Speed Test Tool: https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/
53.What is Google webmaster?
- It helps in check indexing status and optimize the visibility of their websites.
- It highlights the following points
- Crawl errors
- Links to our site and Internal Links
- Search queries used to find our site
- Submitting the site through Robot.txt tester
- Html improvements
54.What is Google tag manager?
Ans: It is a free tool for managing marketing which is used to track the tags on your site.
- Google tag manager supports the following tags
- AdWords Conversion Tracking
- DoubleClick Floodlight Counter
- DoubleClick Floodlight Sales
- Universal Analytics
- GDN Remarketing
- Custom Image Tags
- Custom HTML Tags
55.What is Google analytics?
- It is a free web Google analytics service offered by Google that tracks and reports website traffic.
- Google launched the service in November 2005 after acquiring Urchin.
- The Primary reasons for using the Google Analytics are
- To Know
- Which users visits your website
- What they do when they are on your website
- When they visit your site
- How they arriving the website
- How users interact with your site’s content
- To Know
- What is page session?
- A session is a group of interactions that take place on your website within a given time frame.
- Sessions don’t track how many pages the person visited or what they’re doing, they only track the period of activity. This one, single session will continue until the person is inactive
- Google Analytics defaults that time frame to 30 minutes. Meaning whatever a user does on your website (e.g. browses pages, downloads resources, purchases products) before they leave equals one session
- But Page Session means how many times a user clicks the page.It includes repeated clicks on the same page again and again by same user.
- What is bounce rate vs exit rate?
- Bounce Rate is the percentage of visitors that click your website on a given page and don’t visit any other pages on your site.
- Bounce Rate is extremely important for determining how your landing pages perform as compared to visitor expectations
- Exit Rate is the percentage of visitors that leave your site from a given page based on the number of visits to that page.
- Exit Rate is more important for determining which page in a website isn’t performing up to expectations.We need to bring some improvements on that page
- What steps do u take to improve clicks to a website?
- Create a Rich content
- Create a Shareable Content
- Writing Content Frequently
- Link to old posts within our site
56.What are the common problems an SEO face in Regular Job?
- How to Increase visits
- Reasons for Increase in bounce rate
- Reasons for Decreased average time on site
- Reasons for Decreased pages per visit.
57.Explain about how to design a good site?
- Landing page should content good content
- Using Call to action Button
- Social Media Icons
- Highlighting the Features or services.
58.Name three tools for keyword analysis?
- KEYWORD PLANNER
- MOZ RANK PRO
- SEMRUSH PREMIUM
59.Name three tools for backlink analysis?
- Majestic SEO
60.What is Robot.txt?
- It is Text file which tells Google Bot how to crawl and Index pages on the website
- Block all web crawlers from all content User-agent: * Disallow: /
61.What is content marketing?
Ans: Content marketing is a form of marketing focused on creating, publishing and distributing content for a targeted audience online
62.What is link spam?
Ans: Link spam are links between pages that are specifically set up to take advantage oflink-based ranking algorithms such as Google’s PageRank (PR)
63.What are the technical issues in SEO?
- Uppercase vs Lowercase URLs. …
- Multiple versions of the homepage. …
- Query parameters added to the end of URLs. …
- Soft 404 errors. …
- 302 redirects instead of 301 redirects. …
- Broken/Outdated sitemaps.
We are hoping to these SEO Interview questions and answers are very useful to you when you are attending the Interview.